Apple Pie is very popular around here- on both sides of our families! Which is a rarity, as everyone has got such different tastes.
But, apple pie- always a winner!
I made salted caramel for the first time, especially for this apple turnover and am I glad I did!
The salted caramel really elevates the flavor of cinnamon flavored apples and is so incredibly good with a scoop of ice cream!
I used a mixture of red and green apples to get the perfect balance of sweet and tart.
Otherwise, I pretty much used the same filling I use in my Mini Apple Walnut Pie for Two.
Drizzle some caramel on top before you close the pastry and you’re done!
Since puff pastry takes about 30 minutes to bake, it’s plenty of time for the apples to soften.
Using a knife, make two thin slits over the top of the pastry so that the steam is released and doesn’t make the bottoms soggy.
Top with some vanilla ice cream and drizzle more salted caramel.
More salted caramel is always the answer if you ask me!
You could prepare the apple filling, fill the pastry and pop into the oven while you have dinner. It takes about 20-25 minutes to bake and is just perfectly warm enough to scoop some ice cream over when you’re ready to have dessert.
You don’t need to worry about waiting after dinner for your sweet treat to be ready! Perfect for date nights at home!
If you try out this recipe, please let me know! Tag me on instagram (_littlemiracles_). Feel free to leave a comment below; let me know what you think! I love to hear from you all! Follow me on Instagram: @_littlemiracles_ or just click on the Follow Me! button on the top right hand of the page to get an email every time there’s a post!♥
Salted Caramel Apple & Walnut Turnovers
Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 3 turnovers
Recipe by Sammer
3 puff pastry squares
1/2 green apple, chopped roughly
3/4 red apple, chopped roughly
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
4-5 walnuts, quartered
1/2 tsp light brown sugar
Pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg powder
1/2 tsp lemon juice
2-3 tsp salted caramel
1 egg lightly beaten
Sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/360ºF. Remove puff pastry from freezer.
- Mix chopped apples lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg together.
- Chop the walnuts and toss over a medium flame until toasty. Mix lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl and toss walnuts in mixture to combine.
- Beat an egg lightly and brush over pastry.
- Spoon apple filling over puff pastry. Sprinkle walnuts over.
- Drizzle salted caramel over the apple pie filling.
- Fold puff pastry over apple filling, press the edges together. Using a fork, crimp the edges.
- Brush egg lightly over the folded pastry. Sprinkle some sugar on top.
- Pop into oven and bake till golden brown- about 20-25 minutes.
- Top with vanilla ice cream and drizzle more salted caramel over.