Is the week getting you guys down? Or is it getting away from you?
I can’t believe it is Wednesday already! I have had just so much on my plate at the moment that the days are just slipping on by.
But if those mid-week blues have creeped up on you and you’re just too exhausted after a long day of work, chores or just a long weekend, I’ve got just the fix!
The worst possible thing is to walk into the kitchen, open the refrigerator and stare into its coolness, wondering what on Earth are you going to cook for dinner tonight!
In come these beautiful, fresh veggies and spicy grilled chicken to save you some energy and give you a couple minutes off your feet.
Unless you are like me and getting off your feet seems ludicrous when you’ve got a mountain full of work to do!
Remember the humus we made two days back?
Well, we are going to use a bit of that to make an incredible dressing. Not too much work- just put everything into the blender and mix till creamy.
The spice rub for the chicken is fairly simple. You could use any other rub you like- like a Cajun spice mix or Italian or Mexican spice mixes.
This bowl of chicken and veggies is hearty, filling, tasty and just so gratifying. Knowing you finished off the day with not only a healthy dinner but that eating veggies could be so fun for your taste buds!
If you try out this recipe, please let me know! Tag me on instagram (_littlemiracles_). Feel free to leave a comment below; let me know what you think! I love to hear from you all! Follow me on Instagram: @_littlemiracles_ or just tap on the Follow Me! button on the top right hand of the page to get an email every time there’s a post!♥
Grilled Chicken & Veggies with Creamy Hummus Dressing
300 gms boneless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
1 tsp garlic paste
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika/ smoked paprika
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 cup broccoli florets, washed & cut
1 cup sweet potatoes, washed and cut
1 1/4 cups mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1 large carrot, peeled and cut into circles
Any other veggies you enjoy
5 tbsp. hummus
2 tsp yellow mustard- not powder or seeds, but what you squeeze onto hotdogs.
3 tbsp. water
Pinch of sea salt
3 dates pitted
2 small garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- Heat oven to 220ºC/425ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper/silicon mats.
- Chicken: Wash and cut the chicken. Leave to dry or lightly pat with a paper towel. Add all the spices and garlic paste to the chicken and mix well to coat completely. Set aside for a couple minutes to let it soak up the spices.
- Veggies: Wash and cut all your veggies. Place in a large bowl. Drizzle some olive oil and pepper and toss to coat.
- Place the chicken and sweet potatoes onto one baking sheet and pop into the oven. This will take approximately 18-20 minutes to grill. Sweet potatoes tend to require a longer grilling time then the rest of the ingredients, so they are placed with the chicken.
- While the chicken is grilling, place all of the dressing ingredients into a blender and blitz up till it’s a smooth, creamy dressing. Taste and add salt if necessary. You can adjust the mustard or dates according to taste. Maybe start with adding two dates and seeing how sweet it is before adding the third. This is, however, not a very sweet dressing even with 3 dates.
- Once chicken is cooked through and both chicken and sweet potatoes are tender, remove and set aside to cool. Leave oven on!
- Place the rest of the veggies onto the second baking sheet. Grill for 8-10 minutes or until the broccoli and carrots are tender. Mushrooms do not take too much time. Remove from oven.
- Put the veggies into a bowl, add the chicken and mix. Drizzle or if you are like me, messily spoon over the dressing, grab a fork and enjoy!
Best served immediately otherwise veggies get soggy. Dressing keeps for 5-6 days in the refrigerator. It’s great as a dip or spread.