I know I’m a couple days late for the Mother’s Day post, but if you continue reading down below (below the fold for us journalists!), you will see I had it all typed out and just got to editing my photos a little late. I was travelling Sunday, which happened to be International Hummus Day, aka one of my top favorite days/dishes ever, and wasn’t able to post that either. Which is hilarious in a I-can’t-believe-this-but-so-expected-it way, as I have had the recipe and photos ready for a couple days. I mean I am so completely OCD about every little detail especially when it comes to cooking/baking and writing that I don’t understand how I drop the ball some days. My tune this week is all about being laaa-aate. Thank God I’ve got travel to blame and not laziness!
Not just for Mother’s Day, but everyday! It is perfect for I-Love-You Saturdays and Just-Because Sundays. It’s a super indulgent breakfast that’s great for any celebrations because the flavour is so widely loved. So fun to even prepare the batter with kids on a weekend morning.
HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!
I spent the last couple weeks at my parents but as my luck would have it, flew out today on Mother’s Day! Since every day should be a cause of celebration of the incredible woman who brought us into this world, raised and guided us, wiped away our tears and has the strongest shoulders to lean on, I made my momma these delicious pancakes a day before!
Now she didn’t get to enjoy these in bed,
since I was lazy and woke up a bit later then her, but had them huddled around the kitchen breakfast nook along with my sisters and father. I still put it on a tray and presented it to her with the works. It was kind of fitting that it took place in the heart of my childhood home; the kitchen.
The extra few minutes that go into making these is well worth it. To make it simpler and easier so even children are able to help in the making of these fluffy pancakes, I used a pancake box mix.
You know what pairs just wonderfully with cinnamon swirl pancakes? A warm cup of coffee. Just add the least possible amount of sugar ’cause there is more than enough of a sugary crunch in the pancakes!
If you try out this recipe or simply love it, then please let me know! Leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram (@_littlemiracles_) and I’ll be sure to check it out! ♥
Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes
Recipe adapted from life-in-lofthouse.com
Yield: 5-6 pancakes
Boxed Pancake Batter
1 3/4 cup pancake batter mix
1 tbsp veg oil
3/4 cup +2 tbsp milk
3 tbsp butter melted
1 tsp cinnamon powder
4 tbsp light brown sugar
- For the cinnamon swirl– melt butter until nearly completely melted. Remove from microwave while there is still a little bit left that hasn’t dissolved, so that it doesn’t boil.
- Add the sugar and cinnamon and mix to combine. If piping, then spoon into a piping bag otherwise set bowl aside.
- Pancakes– in a large bowl, measure out the batter mix, add egg, milk and oil and using a spatula, mix until you get a smooth batter.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-low flame. Using an ice cream scoop, pour two scoops onto the pan and lightly spread into a circle using the back of the scoop. Cook until bubbles begin to form. Snip the end of the piping bag and pipe swirl starting from the center of the pancake. If just spooning onto the pancake then using a teaspoon, gently swirl onto the batter in the pan. Don’t heap the cinnamon mixture onto the spoon as it may slide of in a lump.
- Cook pancake until the bottom has turned golden brown. Using a wide, flat spatula, gently lift and flip over immediately to prevent the cinnamon sugar from running off the pancake. After flipping over, there will be some caramalization as the sugar comes into contact with the pan. You’ll see some bubbles around the edges of the pancake- it’s alright just let it be. Cook for two minutes then move to plate.
- Using a paper towel, carefully wipe the pan to remove leftover sugar mixture before pouring on batter for the next pancake.
- Cook remaining pancakes similarly. Top with whipped cream cheese, cream cheese glaze or a simple vanilla glaze!