I know I’ve been AWOL for the past two weeks and I am so sorry! But I’ve been busy trying and piling up recipes to share with you all. Lots of healthy, delicious dishes and sweet, indulgent treats just waiting to be made by you!
The weather has warmed up here in India- drastically. I’m not kidding! India does not do things by halves- one day it’s still pleasant enough for a cool breeze and the next it’s so incredibly hot, it’s like the walls are closing in.
This year, first time since I moved to India, I was home during peak strawberry season and let me tell you- I went crazy. My freezer is just bursting with bags of frozen strawberries and bottles of homemade strawberry jam.
Freezing strawberries is straightforward enough, but homemade strawberry jam is just as good and simple as always having a stash of strawberries waiting for you during those sad strawberry-less months.
Homemade Strawberry Jam is perfect to pour over pancakes and waffles, spread on toast and pair with chocolate cake, like I did with this Molten Chocolate Cake for Two.
I tend to like my jam chunky. It’s easier to adapt to a recipe because if it calls for a smooth consistency, like for this 3 Ingredient Strawberry Mousse, you can just puree the amount you need. Remember to use a tablespoon or so less of the amount called for in a recipe before you puree it, otherwise you’ll be left with extra. Which is never a bad thing!
Super simple steps in making this delicious jam. Just chop up strawberries into small pieces. Add to a saucepan, add some sugar and lemon juice and cook until it coats the spoon.
It is very important to clean the jars you’re going to be using, sterilize them if you can or wash in very hot water, carefully. Dry them well before pouring in the jam.
This can be refrigerated for about a week and frozen for a couple months. Thaw in the refrigerator a day before you need it.
Spread this jam over a cheesecake, top over ice cream sundaes or puree it and make a delicious milkshake- the possibilities are endless!
If you try out this recipe, please let me know! Tag me on instagram (_littlemiracles_). Feel free to leave a comment below; let me know what you think! I love to hear from you all!♥
Easy Homemade Strawberry Jam
Time: 30 mins
Yield: 2 1/2-3 cups
750 grams strawberries, diced
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- Wash and chop up the strawberries to desired size. I usually cut mine in half, then quarters.
- Place in a sauce pan. Add the granulated sugar and turn on stove, keeping heat on medium. Keep stirring every couple minutes.
- When the strawberries start to cook and have begun to soften, the mixture will be more of a liquid form, add the lemon juice.
- Taste and adjust according to taste, adding a half tbsp of sugar at a time until you are satisfied. Cook on medium low heat until you have a thick, sauce like consistency and it coats the back of a spoon. Turn off heat and let cool in saucepan.
- Thoroughly wash jar(s) for strawberry jam well and pour strawberry jam once it has cooled, keeping in the refrigerator or freezer immediately.
-It is best to make this jam during the peak of the strawberry season.