I know Valentines is tomorrow, literally just around the corner, but it isn’t late to make a great dessert! Any of the recipes I’ve posted during the last week are simple and quick enough to put together.
This 3 Ingredient Strawberry Mousse just takes minutes to whip up (pun intended) and can chill in the fridge until time to serve.
These Brownies for Two have the perfectly crispy top and fudgy center and can be chopped up and topped with whipped cream and berries for a delicious trifle.
Or you could make this Mini Apple Walnut Pie if your not the chocolate type. (How? How can someone not enjoy chocolate?)
The crust comes together with just 5 ingredients and is the flakiest pastry that just melts in your mouth.
If you like, you could even make the pastry a day before and keep it in the refrigerator. Remove it about a half hour before so it can thaw.
I wanted a little twist from the usual apple pie and walnuts came to mind as a flavor that blends wonderfully with apple and cinnamon.
Trust me when I say this, it’s the easiest pie to make and looks like you spent so much time over it- it’s sure to impress!
The house smells heavenly while it bakes and cools on the counter. If you’re serving immediately, top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and dig in.
How is it that everything tastes so good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream?
If you try out this recipe, please let me know! Tag me on instagram (_littlemiracles_). Feel free to leave a comment below; let me know what you think! I love to hear from you all!♥
Mini Apple Walnut Pie for Two
Yield: 1- 4 1/2 inch pie
Time: Total: 1 hour 15 minutes
Baking: 20-25 minutes
Recipe inspired by
128 gms/ 1 cup flour
43 gms butter, cool
43 gms shortening, cool
1 tbsp ice water
pinch of salt
- Add the salt to about 2 tbsp of water and place in freezer.
- Measure out flour into a big bowl. Slice butter and add to bowl, cutting it in with your fingers. Do not knead, but rub the butter into the flour. There should be clumps of butter and flour.
- Measure and the shortening, Rub into flour like you did the butter.
- Once all the fat has been mixed, add one tablespoon of the ice water and combine until it just comes together. Do not knead. If needed, add one more tablespoon of water.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill until needed or for 15 minutes at least.
- Remove from fridge when needed. Let thaw for a couple minutes. Flour surface generously and roll out dough.
Apple Walnut Filling
1/3 cup walnuts
1 tsp light brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
Pinch of nutmeg
1/2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 medium apple, sliced thinly
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1 small egg, beaten
1 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF.
- Slice apple thinly and toss in flour, cinnamon and lemon juice. Keep aside.
- In a small saucepan, roast walnuts for a couple minutes, stirring to prevent them from burning.
- Remove from heat and into a small bowl. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice. Toss to coat walnuts well.
- Place most of the sliced apples in the crust. Top with the walnuts mixture and rest of the apples.
- Cover with rolled out pie dough.
- Beat a small egg. Use about one teaspoon and whisk with one teaspoon of water. Brush over pastry and sprinkle sugar over.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes on the lower rack in the oven. Move to the top if you like it nice and golden just before removing. Bake till golden and apples are tender.