I was planning on getting this salad recipe to you a couple days back but the start of this year has been a hectic one. From shuffling between city and town, I’m now back in my childhood home and the healthy resolutions I made are starting to waver.
There is just something about being back in your childhood home, the room you grew up in, that you start to crave the foods of, well, your childhood.
The creamy, refreshing Russian salad my mom makes every dinner party along with the baked chicken in tomato sauce with cream dotted on top is utterly sinful. A fresh shawerma roll filled with grilled chicken, French fries, pickles and garlic sauce. Pita bread filled with melted cheese and straight off a grill. Yum.
So while I try to balance on the very fine line between binging and enjoying my childhood delicacies, all the while worrying over how many pounds I’ll put on in the next few days (hopefully the stress will help burn more calories?), here is a delicious salad to enjoy.
It barely takes any time to put together! Not entirely healthy as the dressing is made of mayonnaise and sour cream, but you can totally sub it with greek yoghurt and get a fresh and filling lunch or evening snack out of it.
Yup, when I get the munchies in the evening, when it isn’t quite dinner time yet, I chow down a bowl of salad.
It’s filling and keeps the cravings of junk food away.
The roasted walnuts add a crunchy texture and a smokey flavor to the salad. The dressing is light with a zing of lemon and absolutely refreshing. It isn’t one of those dressings that sits heavy on the tongue, if you know what I mean.
This is a salad perfect for picnics, barbeques and light lunches. A salad that’s pretty enough to get everyone’s mouths watering!
If you try out this recipe, please let me know! Tag me on instagram (_littlemiracles_). Feel free to leave a comment below; let me know what you think or if you’ve got any suggestions! I love to hear from you all!♥
Creamy Apple and Broccoli Salad with Roasted Walnuts
Yield: 4-5 bowls
Time: 15-20 mins (how fast can you chop up veggies?)
Recipe adapted from natashskitchen
1 green apple, cored and chopped to desired size
1 medium head of broccoli, chopped to desired size
1 large English cucumber, chopped to desired size
1 carrot, chopped or grated
1/4-1/2 cup walnuts
2 tbsps. mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
2 tsps. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Place skillet over medium heat and pour in the walnuts. Keep tossing every couple minutes to prevent burning, until nicely roasted. Let cool slightly before cutting into halves or quarters.
- Wash and chop up all the vegetables to desired size. Mix and keep aside.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients of the dressing until combined well. Add in the vegetables and mix. Pour in chopped walnuts, combine.
- You can sub Greek yoghurt for the sour cream, or even regular yoghurt in equal amounts. If you want to eliminate the mayonnaise completely, then just use Greek yoghurt in place of either or both mayonnaise and sour cream.
- I tend to grate my carrots for salads as it adds another texture to the bowl and enjoy apples cut slightly larger. But my husband, with the palate of a five year old, has only now begun having salad and likes everything cut uniformly!