So I know that International Coffee Day has come and gone, but for me, everyday is the perfect day to celebrate coffee!
When the caffeine craving hits or the beautiful, enticing, mouthwatering scent rears its head, I whip these cupcakes up so I don’t feel too guilty of drinking more than a cup of coffee a day.
Yes, I love all things unhealthy but my heart- it very rarely lets me indulge in my cravings like a woman on the road to binging. A couple cups of coffee are more healthy than these cupcakes, obviously, considering the butter and the sugar, but sometimes, a girl just needs salvation.
This recipe is for mini mocha cupcakes, so you’ll get just about two dozen little coffee treats. I tend to make them as regular sized cupcakes as well, which gives you about 10 cupcakes.
Usually, I top the mocha cupcakes with chocolate ganache. It’s simpler and so delicious. This time though, I wanted to add a hazelnut aspect to the cupcakes. I had no idea that hazelnut buttercream was not a thing. There are hazelnut buttercreams that include Nutella, but with cocoa already incorporated into the cupcakes, I wanted just a hazelnut frosting sans chocolate.
So after much research, I adapted a basic buttercream recipe and incorporated some hazelnut essence into it, leaving out the vanilla.
I have to say, it came out exactly as I wanted it! The creamy, nutty buttercream was the perfect accompaniment to these cupcakes!
If you try out this recipe or simply love it, then please let me know! Leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram and I’ll be sure to check it out! ♥
Mocha Cupcakes With Hazelnut Frosting
100 gms butter
100 gms brown sugar
80 gms flour
1 tsp baking
25 gms cocoa powder
40 ml milk
2 tsp instant coffee
2 tsp hot water
- In a small bowl, dissolve the instant coffee in the hot water and set aside. Sift flour, cocoa and baking powder together and keep aside. Preheat oven to 175ºC.
- Whisk together the butter and brown sugar, until light and fully incorporated. Add the eggs one at a time to the mixture, making sure one has completely combined before adding the next.
- Pour the cooled dissolved coffee and milk into the batter. The batter may look like it has split- but fear not! The first couple times, I panicked as well. But when you incorporate the flour into it, they come out perfect!
- Fold in the flour, cocoa, baking powder mixture using a spatula.
- Line cupcake tray with liners. Scoop batter into the liners, filling about 3/4. Bake for about 15 minutes or until skewer comes out clean when inserted into the center. Cool completely before icing.
100 gms unsalted butter, room temperature
225 gms icing sugar
1 tsp hazelnut essence
1 tbsp milk
- Beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Sift icing sugar and add gradually, beating on medium high. Add the hazelnut essence and whisk well.
- Add the milk and whisk. If the buttercream hasn’t reached the consistency you require, then add another tablespoon and whisk till combined.
If you’re planning on adding colour, then add a couple drops after mixing the essence.